I thought you all might be interested in the food I am eating here. We first I have to say that I haven't found anything that I don't like yet. Everything is pretty good. For those of you who don't know, Spaniards eat a lot of seafood and cook everything in olive oil. The food is very healthy here, much more healthy than the US. The only thing that is strange is that milk is bought in one liter cartons like orange juice and it doesn't have to be refrigerated. It is displayed out on the shelves of the store with the cereal and chips. Very strange, but its still milk. The first weekend I was here, I went to Burger King with my friend Alexandra. They have Burger King and McDonald's everywhere here, as well as starbucks. I think there is a starbucks on every corner. But its a lot more expensive than in the US.

These are gambas, or shrimp boiling in the pot below. You can see that they are the whole shrimp, eyes and all. It is better to cook them this way and then you break the head off and the shell and just eat the inside. It has a better flavor than just the inside that is sold in packages. To buy this kind, you have to go to the supermarket and order it at the seafood counter like we would order meat and stuff at the deli. I have a picture of the fish counter below.

This is where you can buy fresh fish. I'm sure you can imagine how it smelled when I took that picture. I'm not sure if people buy the whole fish, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did. :)

This is a a resturant on Gran Via, near where I live. It is the street where all the shopping and activities are. This restaurant is called the Nebraska, which I thought was kind of odd. I had Tortellini, as you can see.

These are empanadas and croquetes (i'm not sure on the spelling) The bigger ones are the empanadas and they are cooked in olive oil and they have a mixture of tuna and tomato sauce inside. The croquetes are also cooked in oil and have puree chicken and some sauce. They are both really good. It kind of sounds gross when it's described, but really its good.
3 comments:
Mmmmmmmmmmmm.......it all looks good to me. Except maybe all that fish. I'm glad I didn't have to smell it! I'm glad you like the food, because you don't have any weight to loose girl! ;) The tortellini looks delicious, the plate's huge!
Glad you are enjoying the food. I wouldn't like all that fish, or the shrimp but empanada's sound good.
That does look good Alecia! Although I don't like fish or seafood so that might be a problem... Those fish markets are gross aren't they? When I was in Germany they had whole eels stretched out to sell too - their beady little eyes staring at me! I'm glad you're finding good things to eat though! :)
Post a Comment