
Today we went to the Prado art museum. It is one of the best museums for classic art in Europe. This picture however, is the top of the post office with the sun shinning on it. I just thought it was pretty.

This is the Prado. Even the building is a work of art...like most of the buildings here.

This is a statue of Velasquez, an artist that has a lot of paintings in the Prado. He was a painter for King Felipe II.

This is Amanda and me in front of the Prado.

Just showing more detail of the building itself.

This is one of the many fountains that we passed as we were walking to the museum. This part of Madrid is newer than where I live. I think our guide said that this part was built in the 19th and 20th centuries.

Here's some of those crazy greek ladies who always hold up buildings. I guess they do that in Spain too. :)

This is a picture of the street called Alaca which branches from Grand Via (which is near where I live and where we usually go)

Me and Amanda in Puerta del Sol. It was so nice :)

This is Puerta del Sol again. It was such a nice day and I couldn't stop taking pictures.

Puerta del Sol. This is the statue of Felipe II on his horse. He was a weak man but a good King I guess. The Spanish royalty didn't want to dillute their royal blood so they intermarried, however we all know that actually messes a lot of things up. The royal family got progressively weaker and weaker until Juana Loca (crazy Juana), a queen who was literally crazy. But back to Felipe. Aparently he was responsible for founding the mission towns of Los Angeles, San Fransisco, Santa Barbara and all those Californian cities. Interesting..... :) Well today was fun and even though I'm not really into art, I liked learning about the history here. We didn't really have time to see the whole museum so I might go back sometime. There are a lot more museums to see in Madrid though.
4 comments:
Alecia,
What a wonderful surprise to meet Amanda in your class. What a small world? It's great you found someone with similar values to hang around with.
Wow, Ive been reading your blog all along and can't believe all the beautiful ancient looking buildings. It looks like something out of a history book. It's great that you have the time to do so much sight seeing.
P.S. I am jealous of your nice weather. I bet you posted the picture of the post office in the sun to remind us of what sun looks like - we haven't seen it all February.
Aunt Jan
Looks like a great day! Again beautiful pictures!
I love seeing these pictures, and the sun too! Like Aunt Jan said it's been a really rare sighting around here lately!
It is so fun to relive Spain through you a decade later. I am enjoying your blog! We went to the Prado when I was there too. I loved it! You are kind of making me want to jump right in your pictures for a while!LOL! I hope I get to take the blessings there one day!
Blessings!
Renee
Post a Comment